Sunday, January 8, 2012

Bringing Back The Blog - Down The Gopher Hole

Since 1966, I have been trapping gophers, and professionally for decades.  I'm the leading expert on pocket gophers in my field and have written many articles regarding pocket gophers, trapping and advocating against the pest control industry, and the products they use throughout my career.

In the past, I have fought against toxic chemicals, poisons, baits and fumes, to keep humans, pets and wildlife safe, the battle is far from over.  While chemical companies continue to lobby for lax regulations, and the pest control industry continues to utilize products that will not work for pocket gophers, I realized that I needed to continue this fight.  There are too many unethical businesses that are selling products that they know will never work for gophers, and they must be stopped.

Additionally, with all of the crazy things we experience with gophers, I decided it was time to bring back the blog site.  This time, there will be photos, stories and situations that we run into, that hopefully will help you with your gopher situation.

I'll try and keep the site updated, and occasionally, I'll have guest gopher experts comment here as well.

Some of you may not know this but the gestation period for a gopher is only 13 days.  From birth to maturity, 17 days!  The typical litter size ranges from 6-8, and a 9:1 ratio of females to males.  If one pregnant female enters your yard, and makes her den under your pool or home, then you do nothing, this one female (taking the low number) can become 216 in only 2 months!

I hope you share our blog with your family and friends, and remember, as soon as you see the first signs of a gopher, IMMEDIATELY call a professional gopher trapper - so the gophers are dead and not capable of returning.

No comments:

Post a Comment